Tuesday, January 04, 2005

White Blood Cells and Neulasta Shots

I must say it. Neulasta shots work. After hovering around 3.5-3.9 for my white blood cell count for the vast majority of my time on chemo, they started giving me Neulasta shots, since I had to delay chemo once due to low counts. Those 800 dollar puppies work (thank God for insurance). I shot up past 8 when they gave it to me, despite doing chemo at the same time and am now out of the normal range at 13. Amazing. They seemed to think that was a better response than they normally get and asked me all sorts of questions as to wether I am sick. I certainly don't think I am. I figure God's just taking care of that like the rest of it (3 different times before doing Neulasta shots my wbc count actually improved after chemo, when chemo is supposed to be slaughtering your wbc count).

One thing that definetly helps boost the wbc count and heal the body up is going into a tub and sweating. If the water temp. is really hot a person can induce a small fever. Since wbc are reproduced rapidly in a fever it tricks my body into thinking it needs to make a lot more. The sweating meanwhile removes toxins (like chemo and the rest of the abundance of toxins in this world). I'll add in a bit of epsom salts in the bath water to further draw out bad stuff, but then I make sure to drink a LOT of water (at least a quart, and better yet, I drink turkey stock to really sweat) as the epsom salts will dry me out otherwise. Of course, I have to use tons of soap when I rinse off afterwards. The small fever is gone shortly after getting out of the tub. I was very miserable the first time I did chemo and one of the many reasons was due to not doing this for the first few days after chemo. Quite a few nutritionists recommend doing this when a person is about to get a cold or to regain health (Patrick Quillin, Dr. Shultz, etc.). Being in the tub, sweaty, wet, and alone is a very good time to pray...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home