Tuesday, April 12, 2005

John 8:32

I find this a good place to talk about stuff I learned during the whole experience so I don't forget. It is like writing a journal of different things God taught me along the way. I hope you all don't mind. A lot of times it is my ever evolving views of things. Maybe one day I will turn these into papers for college or something. So today I wanted to talk about walking in truth.
*************************************
John 8:32 And you shall know the truth and the truth shall set you free.

Neil T. Anderson loves to talk about the importance of walking in truth. So does William Backus in the book Telling Yourself the Truth. I think this is especially crucial when dealing with all of the cancer junk. If life and death are in the power of the tongue as Proverbs (or was it Psalms?) says, then our words might literally be causing a lot of our problems. W. Lee Cowden M.D. coauthor of Definitive Guide to Cancer said, "Beliefs and emotions can be legitimate toxins, contributing to an overall weakening of the immune system." On page 47 of A Cancer Battleplan Sourcebook, Dave Frahm quotes Christine Northrup M.D. as saying "A thought held long enough and repeated enough becomes a belief. The belief then becomes biology." On page 286 of Beating Cancer with Nutrition by Patrick Quillan, he tells how the number one need for a cancer patient, even more than reducing toxic burden is psycho-spiritual. "Your mind is probably the 'lifeguard' that keeps cancer at bay, hence major stress is literally inviting cancer into the body. The good news is that the mind can be a powerful instrument in eliminating cancer. This is a frightening or empowering concept, depending on how you choose to perceive it. The cancer patient who knows that he or she can do something about getting well is more likely to beat the disease. Helplessness and hopelessness are just as lethal as cigarettes and bullets." He tells how there may be a metaphorical significence to where the cancer is. "Divorced women may lose a breast as they feel a loss of their feminity. One of my patients developed cancer of the larnyx a year after his wife left him. He tried to get her to talk about it, but she said 'there was nothing left to say.'"

So what was my experience? I frequently joked "I think I just got a tumor," in lots of stressful situations. Did that cause me to get cancer? Not necessarily, but it could have opened myself up to it by, in a way, by putting a curse on myself. I heard a myriad of sermons from Charismatic pastors on sky angel on the crucialness of speaking only positive on myself. As a result, I never said, "I have cancer." I only said I was diagnosed with cancer. On a daily basis I confessed that I was healed in my mouth in Jesus' name. Many times I read through the healing verses in the Bible. Dodee Osteen's book, Healed from Cancer, has a list of verses that she said daily for healing and recovered from terminal liver cancer over a two year period. She is still alive and well many years later. As Creflo Dollar would always say, "There is truth and there is fact. Your body may have cancer. That is a fact. But the truth is Isaiah 53:6, 'by the stripes of Jesus you were healed.' And truth changes fact." Speaking the truth helped significently in keeping my mind positive and not be stressed out when doctors were discussing my worst nightmare, bone marrow transplants, with me. It also helps me right now to not be stressed out about the upcoming pet scan.

I find this not only makes a difference in health but in all sorts of areas of life. Life becomes far more peaceful when I chose to believe the positive in situations. I think part of the reason for the story of Peter walking on the water, was for us Christians to realize that as long as we keep our eyes on Jesus instead of our circumstances, nothing is impossible.
*****************************
I tossed a different counter on here the other day. I think I like this one better.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home